Sunday, March 21, 2010

Dr Dan?

Well, there it goes, off into the ether, winging its way across copper and fibre, onto a pile of disks in a darkened shelf somewhere in Ultimo. I've just sent off my CV to see if they're interested in letting me do a PhD. It took me over a week to respond to their email asking for it. Had they thought I'd forgotten or changed my mind?

This whole thing is rather intimidating. My Honours years (now seemingly an aeon ago) weren't exactly the masterpieces they could've been (though I tend to cite various extraneous factors as excuses). With a full-time job and a wife and three small kids, is taking on a PhD a smart idea? Have I got what it takes to do this? It'll take smarts (which I can usually successfully fool people into thinking I have), and hard work (most people aren't aware, but I have been known to do it on rare occasions), and a whole lot of energy (rarely my strong point, despite the medically inadvisable amount of energy drinks I consume).

It's still not final, and I'm still a fair way off being actually enrolled in anything, but each step closer fills my gut with a roiling brew of dread, excitement and worry.

2 comments:

Danny Yee said...

What's your topic, and who is your supervisor?

Danzilla said...

Tentative title is something like "Social interfaces in e-learning systems" - over in Education Faculty.