Saturday, September 4, 2010

A Stainless Steel Rat is Born

I need to get my hands on the original A Stainless Steel Rat - I've now read two of the sequels/prequels, but can't seem to find the original; my book catalog says I've got two of them somewhere, but they don't seem to be there now.

In any case, I've got plenty to fill in the time until I find it - I've got six Rat books sitting on the shelf behind me waiting to be read.

A Stainless Steel Rat is Born
is pretty great too, but I wouldn't say it's got the zing that Revenge has. It's just a little less slick throughout; the younger Jim diGriz has decided to become a criminal, and decides that to become a proper master criminal he needs to find an expert to learn from. The story that follows, while fast and action-packed, just meanders along in no particular direction. What feels like the central plot of the book is resolved well before the half-way point, and then a lot of other stuff happens.

It's quick, fun, and full of adventure. Certainly not too taxing on the brain, but still entertaining enough to keep you going. I'll certainly read more of the Rat series.

No comments: