Saturday, May 2, 2009

World War Z

This was a really effective book. I know I seemto be saying everything I read is awesome, but World War Z is really a very good read. Especially when we're on the eve of a major flu pandemic. It chronicles the decade-long struggle of humanity to beat back a plague of zombies that wipes out most of humanity. It's told as a series of interviews with key survivors from around the world - naturally, as is often the way with these books, they're mostly from the USA, but there is a good sampling of people from other parts of the world.

Apart from a few sillinesses, and the obvious issue of zombies, there is a realistic feel to the book; the compromises made to ensure humanity's survival, and people's reactions to the situation. The only real downside is at the end, when some of the characters are reintroduced; because I read the book over a few weeks I found mydelf having to look back through the book to figure out who they were.

This is first rate horror; I thoroughly recommend it. It's the kind of book that you'll remember for a long time, and keep thinking about. Since I'm now blathering on about the books I read, I might as well start rating them. I'm going to give this one 4 out of 5 awesomes.

2 comments:

Krin said...

I am about to get involved in a roleplaying game over here that is based on this book. A very timely review.

Danzilla said...

Sweet! That could so easily be an awesome game. Hope it's lots of fun.