Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Atrocity Archive

I've just read The Atrocity Archives, by Charles Stross. I have to say, it was bloody awesome. It's got


  • Lovecraftian horror
  • Nazis
  • System Administration
  • Maths
  • Unix
  • tcpdump

And more!

It's the tale of Bob Howard, a low-level system administrator/hacker, who had stumbled onto some dark secrets and got drafted into The Laundry, a top-secret organization within the British Government that deals with occult threats. He gets moved into active duty, as an agent, and all kinds of excitement ensues - eldritch horror as well as bureaucratic wrangling.

Now, I'm aware that I'm pretty much slap-bang in the middle of the intersection of the book's demographics, but even so, I have to say it's a bloody good read. I've got the sequel, The Jennifer Morgue, sitting on my bedside table to be read soon.

No comments: